Today was the first time April’s parents had come face to face with their
former neighbour, since he was charged with their daughter’s murder.
Mr Jones, 43, wore a pink ribbon in memory of his daughter while Mrs Jones
wore a pink flowered dress.
Both stared intently at Bridger and Mrs Jones’s hands shook as she sipped from
a glass of water as the charge of murder was read out.
The defendant, with short cropped hair and a goatee beard, stood with his arms
behind his back, and looked forward as he entered not guilty pleas to
abducting and murdering April and a further charge of perverting the course
of public justice.
At one point Mr Bridger, wearing a navy blue jumper with a pair of spectacles
tucked into his collar, appeared to be making an effort to compose himself
as he entered his final not guilty plea.
The judge, Mr Justice Griffith-Williams rejected the defence application for
the trial to be moved and ordered that it take place at Mold Crown Court
starting on February 25. It is expected to last four weeks.
He also said it could be reported that Mr Bridger’s case was that he was
“probably responsible” for April’s death.
The court heard that during the trial the jury would be taken to the spot
where April was last seen alive.
The case sparked an outpouring of support for April’s parents, with hundreds
of people joining in the search for their daughter and offering assistance.
Despite huge resources being employed to find the little girl’s remains, no
sign has yet been located.
Dyfed-Powys Police resumed the search earlier this month during a short break
Currently there are 16 search teams involved in the operation, the force said.
April Jones: Mark Bridger ‘probably responsible’ for death, court hears – Telegraph.co.uk
Top Stories – Google News