This position involves evaluating and certifying products of NOV’s data acquisition, instrumentation and control systems in the oil and gas industry to applicable standards and directives. The standards and directives include but are not limited to EMC, LVD, Machinery, ATEX, and Pressure Vessel Directives along with North American Class Division and worldwide IEC and EN standards. The individual will provide compliance engineering expertise to assess standards, conduct design reviews, develop test plans, validate compliance, create and maintain technical construction files (TCF), and prepare Declarations of Conformity of new products, as well as support existing product certification. The individual will work collaboratively with mechanical and electrical engineers, designer/drafters, technicians and other support personnel in the certification of new products. The engineer will work across departmental lines and interact with other groups such as New Product Development, Product Line Managers (PLM), Manufacturing, Quality, Supply chain, Field Engineering, Sales, and Rental teams to gain understanding of product requirements and provide guidance on applicable compliance standards. This work is done within the framework of a quality control system and is performed in a collaborative environment. Prior experience with ATEX directive is highly desirable. Leadership and teamwork characteristics must be demonstrated. A consistent pattern of timely delivery is critical to this role.
· Evaluate compliance requirements for proposed new designs using experience and rigorous engineering evaluation and analysis.
· Perform assessments of standards and directives, and document compliance provisions.
· Work as solo compliance engineer on projects providing knowledge of compliance requirements.
· Verify and check engineering drawings and layouts against relevant standards or codes. Offer recommendations to drawing omissions and/or errors.
· Hold design reviews and preliminary investigations.
· Use regulatory knowledge to reduce development cost and time to market.
· Travel to test laboratories/certifying bodies, oversee testing and work as liaison between design engineers
· Create labeling for products to meet marking requirements for applicable certifications.
· Lead effort to develop Technical Construction Files for certified equipment (e.g. test procedures, reports, data books, standards assessments, etc.).
· Review validity of vendor Declaration of Conformity and create manufacturer’s DoC.
· Manage factory inspections across multiple notified bodies and certifications.
· Assess risk management for a project, including a risk analysis and mitigation plan.
· Determine project scope, develop a preliminary plan and determine project specifications such as cost, time, and sample requirements of certifying body to complete product certification.
· Accurately estimate activity work efforts, and timelines to support overall project planning.
· Manage routine inspections and audits to maintain product certification.
· Aid Technical Publications and Training in creation of compliance materials
· Provide support to sales, quality, manufacturing, and engineering personnel.
· Complete all responsibilities in a timely and professional manner while maintaining quality
· Perform other duties as required by management
· BS Degree or better in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Technology
· Working knowledge of directives and compliance standards – EMC, LVD, IECEx, ATEX, UL standards.
· Minimum 5 years’ experience in certification and/or design of electronic or mechanical products and managing a project through a certification agency.
· Ability to contribute to attaining compliance of new products.
· Solid reasoning and problem solving skill required skills (e.g., ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions)
· Excellent written as well as verbal communication skills.
· Strong organizational and time management skills.
· Ability to interact cooperatively and collaboratively with others as a team.
· Demonstrated commitment to quality and professionalism.
· Ability to travel both domestically and internationally. Travel expectations are considered ‘light’ to ‘moderate’ as required to gain compliance; may require on site involvement at various NOV and agency locations as well as drilling rigs.
· Software packages and technologies: Working knowledge of standard office and CAD tools
· Knowledge of oilfield equipment, materials, processes and specifications desired
· Design for EMC/ LVD/ATEX compliance
· Hazardous area safety, especially intrinsically safe design concepts
· Proficient in the project management of complex problems and projects
· Engineering document control systems (Teamcenter a plus)
· Working knowledge of Quality processes and systems
· Familiarity of protection methods for equipment used in hazardous atmospheres (i.e. intrinsically safe, explosion proof, purged), electrical safety and/or pressure vessel compliance.
· Familiar with standard engineering practices related to manufacturing.
· Experience in electro-mechanical component specification, packaging, and system integration desired
· Designing systems for ruggedized environments. Prior experience in engineering in the Oil and Gas industry extremely beneficial.
Employment Type: PERMANENT